Saturday, September 6, 2014

September Currently

Linking up with Farley for Septembers Currently!


Listening:  I fell asleep watching TV, and woke up to Lindsey Johnston's request for her Featured Friday, and now I am linking up (very late)...since I just woke up, I have no clue what's on, and I'm too lazy to search for the remote....ahhh...Saturdays!

Loving:  I taught English and Social Studies for five years, and kindergarten before that, and all subjects before that...plus I taught science at Purdue.  Well, I switched BACK to just Math and Science and LOVE IT!  Not Math as much as SCIENCE!  I love the exploration, hands on learning, team work, and light bulbs that go off with science!  

Thinking:  I really had cleaning on my agenda, knocking out the stack of bills, and brought home work....but that list will be there tomorrow.  It was nice to relax today and take a nap!

Wanting:  Our raises are based on our performance as a teacher and student performance on the state mandated assessments.  Since 100% of my students passed the test, and because I do so well teaching :),  I receive a raise this year.  The bad part, teachers that didn't have 80% pass have to wait for the state to come out with growth reports.  If 80% of their students show growth, they can get a raise as long as their performance assessments were great.  I could be waiting until December for that pay raise...

Needing:  I love teaching Science, but those experiments are expensive!  We do a 1-2 labs a week, and that can get pricey!  Guess I'll be writing some grants this year! :)

Trips:  I love any beach.  It takes me to a better, relaxed place!  This year my daughter's school trip is to Machu Pichu and the Amazon in Peru.  She desperately wants to go...we shall see!  Next years trip is to Italy.  That will happen!  My family lives in Roma, Italia, and I can't wait to see them!  

3 comments:

  1. I should be cleaning or paying bills too, but you are soo right, this is more fun! :) I'd LOVE to go to Italy too! It's so neat you have family there! Have fun next year and enjoy time with your family! :)

    Suzanne
    CreateEducateInspire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for science teachers!! :D I absolutely LOVE science. :) Your blog is soo cute! Have fun in Italy!!

    Michelle B
    Miss, Hey Miss

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH.... your raises are tied to test scores and student performance? What happens to teachers who teach special ed? Or to the PE or speech and language teacher? That is Absolutely CRAZY!! I am sure many teachers work their fanny off but have some students who just don't test well, or don't show enough growth, or who had parents divorce the week before testing, or who caught the flu during testing, etc. How do you feel about the performance being linked to scores? I see so many of us working so hard and often our scores don't reflect what our students actually know. I teach in a district that is 97% poverty and probably at least 90% English Language Learners. We all know it takes years for their growth to actually show. Sorry for the long dissertation.. I was just blown away by your news!!

    Susan
    LopezLandLearners

    ReplyDelete